Our team at Holy Family Pet Care is committed to educating our clients in how to keep your pets healthy. Good nutrition, exercise and routine dental care at home can gain you many wonderful years with your pet.
Here are some tips to help you get started brushing your dog or cat's teeth:
- Keep the session short- no longer than 3-5 minutes
- Go slow and give lots of praise to your pet, remember this is all new to them
- Place a pea sized amount of Pet Toothpaste (we can provide you with C.E.T Pet toothpaste in great flavors such as liver and chicken!) on your finger and let your pet lick the paste. Follow this with a tasty SMALL treat.
- IF YOUR PET IS PRONE TO BITING OR IS AGGRESSIVE----DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BRUSH THEIR TEETH!
- Gently place the paste on the upper canine teeth (these are the big, long teeth in front) (AND yes, CATS have Canine teeth also....why not Feline teeth??? who knows!)
- Lift up the lip all the way to where it curves to form the lower lip, this exposes the upper back teeth and makes it easier to rub the toothpaste on the teeth.
- Eventually, you can introduce a small toothbrush for regular brushing. Brush the OUTSIDE of each tooth, moving the brush gently back and forth. Brush just a few teeth and gradually increase the time brushing until you can brush them all.
And for Cat lovers:
CATS CAN DO IT ALL ON THEIR OWN!....
You still have to work with them as above!
We would be happy to help you with your pet.
Give us a call at 915-532-7387